Tuesday, July 2, 2013

UPDATE!

 
BEEN GETTNG SOME THINGS IN PLACE AROUND HERE
 
My antique kitchen needed rearranging, so I went ahead and got 'er done.  The hutch you see below belonged to my great-grandmother, spent many decades stashed in the barn in CO, with my grandmother regularly relegating it to the town dump and Grandad just as regularly going out and bringing it back to the barn.  In due course I got permission to take it out of there; Steve and I stripped it of the layers of paint and reinforced it here and there (okay, it was mostly Steve but I supervised).  It's been here and there with me over the course of the years and I love it dearly.  Its most recent home is the nook in my antique kitchen, moved away from the windows so the light can come in (and so I can get my freezer from the basement through the door).  When we re-did it, we oiled the wood instead of varnishing it, so I re-oiled it too as it's been a good while since it was last done.
The little wood stove you see in front of it is the one that was back stage at the theatre (must have been used as a prop).  I kept it to use as a planter but then decided to get stove pipe and hook it up to see if it worked.  It worked great!  Not as well as the bigger kitchen stove I have replaced it with, but it heated things up pretty well for something so little!  Now I'm not sure what I'll do with it - probably use it for a planter until I get around to building the little rock house I want in my back yard (or courtyard, don't know which yet) and then maybe it can go in there.
 

Obviously I haven't gotten the kitchen cook stove refurbished yet, but it's worked like a charm all winter anyway!  The green wooden cupboard is (I think) of an age with this house so belongs in the kitchen.  Please know that the 'distressed' look of it has been left that way intentionally.  Not being a drinker, the wine rack on top of it holds my rolling pins.  The newly white wall (used to be bright yellow) is fire-retardant.  I want bricks on that wall but don't know when/if that will happen.
 
 
Here's an empty spot between the attic hall door and the door to the butler's pantry (in the dining room, which has five doors all told, plus two windows).

 
Below, something everyone in my generation of Colorado Bransons will recognize.  Grandma made it and it hung in her house for I don't know how long.  Supporting it are Grandad's work spurs.

 
The peony in this work was traced from the bottom-most (original, I'm thinking) layer of wallpaper ceiling border in this room.  This piece now hangs over the attic hall door.

 
Over the door to the butler's pantry are:  one of my paintings and two of my grandmother's embroidery pieces, companions to the horseback cowboy.  She displayed them together and so shall I.

 
This bookshelf wall is finally beginning to come together.  It ain't fancy, but it's getting done.

 

 The wooden fence enclosing my back and north side yard came from my step-dad Earl Fike (I think he got it from my Aunt Delores but don't quote me on that).  This part is as high as I am tall, five feet plus a little.  If that drift reaches the top of the fence, I'm heading south.  And this hasn't really even been all that bad of a winter for us, relatively speaking.  Still ... it's the principle of the thing.  When the snow gets taller than me it's time I was someplace else.

No comments:

Post a Comment